Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Switzerland Report - Day 8


|| Aug 4 ||


Findings: Hotel Mimosas, Juan-les-Pins Beach

Food: Perfect French Breakfast, Sandwich on baguette with ham, cheese, lettuce, cornichons, hard-boiled egg, and Dijon.

If you've read this far, it is because you are related to me (or equivalent), and feel obligated to finish reading. Because you are related to me, you won't be shocked to find that, on this day, like every other day in my life, I woke up before everyone else, including the hotel staff.

I have never had a bad breakfast in France and I wanted to get to mine as soon as possible. So while Chris and Johanna, with her new stuffed kitty named "Jeanne," were still asleep, I snuck down to the pool side at Hotel Mimosas for breakfast. It was perfect. Why are croissants just right in France? Why? For real, why? Why can't we have them in Berkeley? And trust me we don't have them in Berkeley. We almost have them in Berkeley and you can almost convince yourself that we have them, but then you go to France and realize we don't. Not by a long shot.



I forgot my thong bikini, Chris forgot his gold Speedo, and neither of us remembered to bring our yacht, but we still had fun on the beach in Juan-les-Pins. Like Cinque Terre, the beach was happening but not over-crowded. We had no trouble finding a spot and settled in for another relaxing half-day, which is my time limit on relaxing.

For the afternoon we explored the old section of Antibes on foot and shoulders. On the walk we found several kiosks with prints of paintings by the masters. They were placed so that you could see the scene that the painter saw. Neat-O. Antibes has a large open air farmer's market, Marché Provençal, which we visited a number of times. This is where I found my new favorite sandwich: ham, cheese, lettuce, cornichons, hard-boiled egg, and Dijon. We found an antique carousel too. It was so hot that we were forced to swim again at the end of the day. Life is rough on the Riviera.








1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie,

    What is a cornichon? I can't be bothered to Google it.

    Please tell Johanna that I like her stuffed animal

    Please tell Chris that he left his gold Speedo in Tahoe, shall I hold it for him?

    ReplyDelete