Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Tart Tatin - another cooking adventure with a girl named Ham




"Mama, what day is it today?"
"Thursday."
"Is today the day we make apple pie?"
"Tart Tatin? Yes. We are making Tart Tatin for Thanksgiving."
"Mama, that's three words that start with 'T'! Tigery is going to help us too. That makes four 'T's. Did you know, Tigery got FOUR stickers in Kindergarten and he got a prize? But that's not fair because I didn't get a prize because my teacher counted wrong."

"Well, how many apples do you see?"
"Five. One is hiding in the back."
"So, you get FIVE stickers. There is one on each apple."
"Five is more than four but I wish that numbers went 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 because then I'd be six years old, not five."

"Mama, Tigery is done peeling the apples."
"OK, now we need to measure the ingredients for the caramel."
"Yummy. Yummy. Yummy. Caramel. Caramel. Caramel."
"You need 1-1/2 cups sugar and a 1-1/2 sticks of butter."

"Now what do we do?"
"Melt the butter, pour in the sugar, and don't stop stirring."


"I love the smell of caramel in the morning."

"Ham, we still have a lot of work to do."
"Mama, why do you always call me Ham?"
"It's short for 'Hamsta'."
"Oh yeah. I remember."

 
"I'm so tired. Will that pie ever finish...
 
...ever, ever?"

No comments:

Post a Comment